Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Grandma Kay is here!



Julie, Shane and me over Thanksgiving weekend



Julie and me back in college when we first met

Julie is my best friend. We met in college and she's like a sister to me. Really, no one knows me better than Julie and her husband, Shane. Better friends simply don't exist. I am also lucky that Julie's family is like my own. In fact, Julie and Shane will be Morgan and Siena's guardians should something happen to me. They agreed to it, no questions asked. I know should it come to that, they'll be in great care. They treat the girls just like they treat their own children. We are so lucky and blessed.

Today, Julie's mom, Kay, arrived. For the next week, I get one-on-one time with her. She's a wonderful, kind, loving woman. My girls call her Grandma Kay. I'm very much looking forward to our time together.



Grandma Kay with her 97 year old aunt and cousin. That's no typo-- she really is 97 years old and she looks and sounds amazing. Sharp as a tack and incredibly coherent. I'm so impressed.

It seems that throughout my cancer battle, God puts people in my path when I need them most.

One night I was lying in bed and I got a text from a high school friend of mine, Bernie. I hadn't heard from him in some 20 years but there he was. "How are you, Liz? I've been thinking about you." Wow.

Just before my diagnosis, my friend, Linda, came into my life. We talked a lot about her cancer battle and what she learned about alternative treatments. How uncanny it was that just weeks later, I was leaning on her for knowledge and support. Random? Coincidence? I think not.

And Russ. Handsome, smart, engaging, Russ, who one evening sent me an email that if I ever needed anything. he was there for me.

I could go on and on and on but I'll leave with Todd. Todd is the one who got away. Movie star handsome, smart and educated, intellectually curious, witty... The guy who walks into a room and people stop to look. I took him to a few of my work functions when I was at HSBC and my coworkers literally swooned over him. Well, so did I. When he was around, my world literally stopped and nothing seemed to matter, just us. Throughout my horrible marriage, I kept in touch with Todd and I knew early on that I had made a huge mistake and I ended up with the wrong man. Anyhow, when I left San Diego and was moving to Utah, out of the blue I got an email from Todd. I hadn't heard from him in months but there he was. I gave him the update on what was happening in my life. Long story short, he said he'd come to Utah and help me with my injections. It was cute and funny. He told me that one of his greatest regrets was letting me go. Not that anything could happen-- hey I was sick and many hours away from him. But it was so nice to hear and came exactly when I needed it most.

God puts amazing people in my path exactly when I need them. And right now, it's Grandma Kay.

No comments:

Post a Comment