Thursday, February 27, 2014

Lizzy in the news!

Interview: NBC News Salt Lake City

Today, Jenny and I were interviewed on NBC News at Noon in Salt Lake City. We discussed the www.myelomacrowd.org site and navigating myeloma treatment. It's always a pleasure to help promote this web site and help other myeloma survivors navigate this disease. Check it out here! www.ksl.com/?sid=28870218&nid=1194



Article: Huffington Post!

The Huffington Post carried my first article today! I'm so excited. What a great way to promote something I am passionate about: helping others survive divorce and, especially, how to survive an abusive husband, escape him, and rebuild life after. I've already received several private emails from those who found my blog from Huffington Post - hooray! Click here to read. But here's a teaser:

The 10 Best Things About Divorce

Posted: Updated:     

Main Entry Image
                            

I don’t know a single person who has gone through a divorce and thought it pleasurable. Divorce is tough, ugly, and acrimonious -- it pretty much sucks. But if you look closely enough, I’ll bet you can find many great things that emerged from your divorce. I know I can. And when I think about it and remind myself of the positives, thriving from my divorce seems a more accurate description of my experience (sort of). Hey, at least I learned to laugh again and have fun! Keep reading...
 

Radio Program: Cure Panel Talk Radio

Yesterday I participated in a fantastic radio show! Dr Rajkumar talked about many of the developments in the Myeloma field, including treatments, outcomes, and new drugs in the pipeline. You can hear a recap by clicking here or by pasting this in your browser: http://www.curepanel.carefeed.net/event/rsvp/19/.  
 
 
Two notable items I'd like to recap are:
 
1. Almost all the time, patients are treated for myeloma differently depending on who treats them. There are so many different ways to treat those with myeloma and many different approaches. There are approaches that are highly aggressive and more curative in their attempt versus maintaining the disease. And there are all these factors that help determine those decisions. But almost without fail, it depends where a patient is seen. It should be the other way around. Patients should, in a "perfect" world, know what their treatment options are and then determine how they would like to proceed. The challenge is that few patients know anything about their disease when diagnosed. And, once diagnosed, we they are overwhelmed and trust their oncologist. That was true for me, too. I believe the www.myelomacrowd.org site helps educate newly diagnosed patients in a comprehensive, easy-to-understand way. Maybe armed with better knowledge, those decisions won't be quite so difficult.
 
2. For those who are done with transplant and received a total response or a very good partial response, keeping them on maintenance therapy indefinitely is an approach some are taking. At Mayo, they keep patients on that maintenance therapy for no more than "about" two years because secondary cancers become more prevalent.
 
All interesting information!

No comments:

Post a Comment