Monday, June 23, 2014

Divorced Moms column: Back from Holiday! 8 Lessons I Learned From My Trip Abroad

From Divorced Moms!

Back from Holiday! 8 Lessons I Learned From My Trip Abroad
by Lizzy Smith                    
June 23, 2014
italy2.jpg
I just got back from the best holiday ever. We spent three weeks exploring a few parts of the world I’d never been: Croatia, Turkey, Greece, Switzerland and Italy. The entire trip was heavenly but my favorite stops were Lake Como and Lake Maggiore in Northern Italy. I seriously want to move there. The food, fashion, history, culture, architecture and beauty is just breathtaking. We ate lots of fresh pasta, delicious authentic pizza and gelato, and sipped lattes. In Milan, my daughters and I shopped like crazy girls, picking up skirts, tops, sundresses, and shoes. We dressed up for dinner almost every night and my eight year old daughter had fun doing my hair. My boyfriend joined us for part of the trip, and my parents for the rest. On a scale of 1 to 10, I give this journey a 15.
In Italy, I felt so at peace, emotionally and physically healthy (despite fighting an awful cold), and joyful. Maybe it was the warm sun, or maybe I just needed a break from my ordinary life. Whatever it was, it worked. I feel rejuvenated.
I am passionate about travel. I’ve been to 26 countries and 39 states, and I plan to keep adding to my list. When I go somewhere new, it changes me inside my head and heart. When I was in high school, I used to dream of leaving my small town and exploring the world. When I finally had a little money and freedom, it’s one of the first things I did—hop on a plane with passport in hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment