Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Divorced Moms: Single Moms and Flu Season. Foods to Charge Our Immune Systems

My latest article on Divorced Moms. Flu season is here and I am endlessly obsessed with my health. I'd write more but I'm packing for a trip and I'm way behind schedule. I leave in the morning on a jet plane to exotic Kansas City, whoohoo! Actually I am very much looking forward to it. I will miss my girls very much but I will be in great company. More details when I get back. Cheers, dear readers, and stay healthy and eat right!

Single Moms And Flu Season. Foods To Charge Our Immune Systems
by Lizzy Smith                    
September 24, 2014
Share on Tumblr
Fotolia_65896556_XS.jpg
As single moms, getting sick not only sucks, but it’s really hard to manage kids, job, and yourself. The best option is to, well, just not get sick in the first place. Well, first, there are no guarantees that we'll never get sick, no matter how much we try. That said, there is still a whole lot we can do on our end to give our bodies is maximum ability to fight of germs and disease. And one easy place to start is what we put in our mouths. Since we all eat and drink throughout the day, making good choices is critical.

So I did my research and made my list of the most potent "superfoods" out there when it comes to boosting the immune system. Sure, eating healthy in general is good. But there are “good” foods, and then there are “great” foods. And then there are teas and spices that help, too.

Personally, I’m not a big meat eater, to be honest, but I’m a huge fan of seafood and fish and there’s plenty of those to keep me satiated. Plus, I can add garlic and grilled veggies, and flavor it with, say, cayenne pepper to make it a super nutritional, immune boosting meal (delicious, too). Add a side of black beans and, wow, I’m hungry just thinking about it.

The bottom line is that there are enough options to keep even the pickiest eaters happy (that includes my children). If there’s something that I hate (and, really, I only hate peas, lima beans, chicken on the bone, and raisins, none of which are on my superfoods list), I’ll pick something else.

Eating out is always my biggest challenge but at almost every restaurant, there are always salads (go light on the dressings; I personally like balsamic vinegar and olive oil), grilled chicken or fish, and steamed veggies. No joke, I went to Cheesecake Factory not too long ago and I ordered steamed broccoli, steamed asparagus, and a side of mashed potatoes that I split with my daughter (ok, I confess—I also split a slice of cheesecake). Actually, my lunch choice was delicious and I was really full before a started in on the cheesecake.

Ok, enough about that. Let’s get to that shopping list. I’ll buy as much organic, farm raised, locally grown stuff as possible. It’s always good to support the healthy foods industry, in my opinion.

Keep reading...

No comments:

Post a Comment