Monday, June 22, 2015

The people I meet (thanks to myeloma) & unbreakable bonds between step sisters


Yesterday, Father's Day, I got a text message from someone I don't know. Her father is a fan of mine (he is a myeloma survivor) and his daughter is going through a tough divorce. Since I've survived myeloma and a tough marriage and divorce, he apparently "demanded" his daughter reach out to me. Maybe I could help, or at least provide a listening ear. Though he is out of state, his daughter lives in Salt Lake City (what are the odds?). We are meeting up for dinner tomorrow evening.

Today, I was checking in for labs and a bone marrow biopsy at Huntsman Cancer Institute (HCI) when a man walked up to me and said "I want to introduce myself. I know you from your online work." We chatted for probably 20 minutes, a fellow myeloma warrior. Wow-- that was very cool.

Another woman I met through my online articles contacted me yesterday asking my opinion on  demanding a switch on treatment medications. I'm no doctor, I could only tell her that there are so many differing opinions surrounding how best to treat myeloma and that at some point, we need to listen, research, pray and role the dice. We must go with our gut instinct on some level so yes, if I felt I needed to do something different, then I would. Because I also feel that if I screw up in my decision, there are so many other treatments that I'll get back in kick-ass mode again and there you have it.

I absolutely love connecting with my readers and knowing that I am making a difference for others. I feel like I have a true purpose in life and that means EVERYTHING.

William is running for Lehi City Council. He has committed to walking every major Lehi neighborhood and commercial corridor in the city between now and election day. As he talks to business owners, he is also embarking on raising funds for myeloma. We are going to donate everything we raise to the Myeloma Crowd Research Initiative (www.myelomacrowd.org/mcri). Our lives have meaning.

Yesterday was Father's Day and after church, we all went to a late lunch. I was surrounded by fabulous dads. I realize that with the support of these wonderful men in my life, I can't fail. I am happy. My dad is a rock star. I love him more than I can ever express. He's been there for me through thick and thin. He's been there for my children. He inspires me with his strong faith and morals. I am so grateful to celebrate another Father's Day right here with him, in person, not over the phone from miles away.


A few days ago, I purchased a plane ticket for my daughter, Morgan, to go to San Diego to hang with her step-sister Kalie for the weekend. To say she is excited is an understatement. Her dad has totally abandoned her, ignoring every text and overture she makes to him. How we can learn from children. Kalie is amazing. Grudges? She doesn't have them. Today she texted me that her older sister wants to join them while Morgan is in town. Gosh, YES. The fact that they can all reconnect is simply... it's good. It's right. It's not about me, it's about a great 15 year old child who doesn't understand how or why she was mostly cut off from her dad and everything surrounding him. The fact that the kids can do something better and right says a lot. Again, I am grateful. Relieved. Happy. Happy for THEM. Because I hope that, for the rest of their lives, they can forge a bond, a good relationship, and they can be there for each other. Because we can never have enough support, love and friendships in our lives. It's as simple as that.

No comments:

Post a Comment